THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Antonio Stradivari

I haven't blogged in awhile. I guess that's the downside of having to be in three different places at once when there is only one of you. Every day since school got out I go to PE from 8-12, sometimes longer. On Tues/Thurs, as soon as that gets out I go to orchestra, where I should have been two hours prior. That is usually over at 12:30 and then I hang out for a bit, go home, eat, shower, and then I go help Mr. Powell with the 5th grade beginning orchestra from 3:30 to 6. After that, I finally get to relax and I'm usually so exhausted I fall asleep not long after that.

OK. Back to the real reason for this post.

Lately, I have been fascinated by violins from mainly the late 16th century and early 17th century. That was the time of Antonio Stradivari (1644-1737), who is considered to be the best violin-maker ever, beating Andrea Amati (1500's) and the Guarneri family (17/1800's) for quality. All three were Italian families from around the area of Cremona.

Make sure you don't get his last name mixed up with what he put on his makers tag, which was often printed or handwritten. Tags that are authentic read "Antonius Stradivarius Cremonesis Faciebet Anno (date)." That is latin. It's the maker, where it was made, and the date. His instruments are also often referred to as "strads."

During his lifetime, he made over 1,100 instruments. Only an estimated 630 of them survive, 512 of which are violins. But Stradivari didn't just make violins, he made everything. Violins, "viols" (or violas), the violoncello (or cello), and guitars. I'm not positive as to whether he made the double bass or if it was around at that time. Only one guitar is left in existence. Many of his instruments were ruined in floods, fires, accidents, at sea, and during WWII. Surviving instruments today sell for 2 million dollars or more.

Yo-Yo Ma, a celebrated cellist, plays the "Davidov" Stradivarius cello which is on loan to him. You can visit a Strad violin at the National Music Museum in South Dakota, where it is currently on exhibit.

0 comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player